Full stack developer jobs are some of the most in-demand positions in the technology industry, particularly in the field of extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR). As a full stack developer, you’ll be responsible for creating end-to-end solutions, from front-end development to back-end programming and everything in between.
Companies across the XR space are looking for talented full stack developers, from technology giants such as Microsoft and Facebook to smaller startups and development studios. Employers in the XR space include Magic Leap, HTC Vive, and Google.
Read on to learn all about the role of a full stack developer and search for your ideal full stack developer job using our Job Finder today:
Find a Full Stack Developer Job
What does a full stack developer do?
A full stack developer in the XR industry plays a critical role in building and maintaining applications that leverage virtual and augmented reality technology. To excel in this role, developers need to have a strong foundation in programming languages such as C#, C++, and Java, as well as knowledge of XR development frameworks like Unity or Unreal Engine.
In addition to technical skills, full stack developers in the XR industry also need to understand the UX design requirements of web and mobile applications that incorporate extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR) technology. This means having a familiarity with UI/UX design principles and an ability to write clean, functional code on both front-end and back-end.
Roles and responsibilities of a full stack developer in XR:
As an XR full stack developer, you’ll wear many hats to bring immersive experiences to life:
- Web development frameworks: you’ll use web development frameworks such as React, Angular, Vue, and Django. Familiarity with these is essential for full stack developers.
- Database design and management: You’ll be working with databases, including designing database schema, writing SQL queries, and managing database performance.
- API design and integration: Full stack developers should have experience in designing and integrating APIs to connect different parts of an application.
- Version control: Proficiency with version control systems like Git is essential for full stack development, as it enables you to work collaboratively and manage code changes effectively.
- Problem-solving: You’ll need to be able to identify and troubleshoot problems that arise in both front-end and back-end code, as well as find solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Testing and debugging: This will be a big part of your job, using tools like Unity Test Runner or browser developer tools to ensure everything works as expected.
- Collaboration: Working in a team will be essential, collaborating with designers, artists, and other developers to create cohesive and engaging experiences. Communication skills and teamwork are just as important as technical know-how in this exciting field.
What technology do full stack developers use?
Developing XR solutions often involves working with cutting-edge technologies, which means that as a full stack developer, you’ll need to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices. You’ll also need to be able to adapt to new technologies and frameworks as they emerge.
What programming languages do full stack developers use?
Some of the key development languages and tools used in front-end development on XR projects include:
- Unity: Unity is a game engine that can be used for building VR and AR experiences. It uses C# as its programming language, and supports the development of immersive experiences for a variety of platforms, including desktop, mobile, and XR devices.
These are just a few of the key development languages and tools used in front-end development on XR projects. The specific languages and tools used can vary depending on the specific project requirements and the preferences of the development team.
What skills do you need to be a full stack developer?
If you’re thinking about becoming a full stack developer, there are some key skills you’ll need to bring to the table. This includes a solid grasp of computer graphics and 3D modelling, as well as expertise in programming languages and development frameworks. Experience working with game engines and AR/VR tools is also a major plus in the extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR) space.
When developing XR solutions, having an understanding of human behaviour and psychology can be incredibly helpful. It’s important to keep in mind that you’re creating immersive experiences for users, which often involves working with complex 3D models, integrating with back-end systems, and designing intuitive user interfaces.
Finally, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team are all important traits for full stack developers. With these skills under your belt, you’ll be well on your way to creating cutting-edge XR experiences that users will love.
How to land a job as a Full Stack Developer
Becoming a full stack developer typically requires a strong background in computer science or a related field, along with relevant work experience. Creating a portfolio of relevant projects and demonstrating your expertise with specific technologies and platforms can also be helpful in securing a job in this field.
Qualifications and Experience
To become a full stack developer in the extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR) industry, a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field is typically required, along with work relevant experience. Some employers may also require experience with specific technologies and platforms, such as Unity or ARKit. Our expert recruitment consultants are available to guide you through the hiring process.
Full Stack Developer Salary
As a highly skilled professional, being a full stack developer offers a well-paying career with salaries that are often competitive and above average.
How much do Full Stack Developers earn?
According to Payscale, the average salary for a full stack developer in the US is $75,439 per year, while in the UK it is £35,104 per year, and in Europe it is €43,822 per year. However, salaries can vary depending on the specific company, location, and level of experience.
Full Stack Developer Career Path
As an extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR) full stack developer, there are numerous career development opportunities available. As you gain experience and expertise with specific technologies and platforms, you may be able to progress to more senior roles such as team lead or project manager. Furthermore, as the XR industry continues to grow, there may be opportunities to specialise in areas like AI or machine learning.
Ready for your next Full Stack Developer role?
Becoming a full stack developer in the XR industry can be an exciting and rewarding career path. It offers the opportunity to work on innovative projects that push the boundaries of technology and create immersive user experiences. With the increasing demand for XR developers, there are plenty of job opportunities available for qualified candidates.